Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's Free-Writing Time: Bitter Ina Strikes

source


Can I just say that I am not really a fan of this time of the year. Yes, I may come as bitter and heart broken, but I really don't like Valentine's Day. If you must ask why, then you may think it's because I really don't have anyone to celebrate it with as of the moment. That maybe partly be the reason why *bitter Ina is bitter*, but it's just not fair, really.


So, why do I not like Valentine's Day? 


1. I cannot stand the pressure it gives people. It forces a lot of people to tell other people how much they love them. Yes, it's amazing for anyone who has a Valentine, but why can't you just do that to the person you love everyday? Why give a whole day dedicated to just that? 


2. Valentine's Day 2008 traumatized the crap out of me. I don't want to elaborate any more but I think that was the beginning of my horrible luck with that day. Seriously. Though, I have to admit, last year wasn't bad and was actually kind of fun. Here's to hoping this year won't be spent crying.


3. What about the people who don't have anyone to celebrate it with? Kawawa naman kami. This is a day when us single, lonely people will just realize that we are indeed alone. Yes, we have friends to be bitter with, but it's not the same. Being in love with someone can be great, but only if that person feels the same way. 


Let me share with your a quote from Neil Gaiman which I can relate with so much.
"Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."
Dear reader, I deeply apologize if I come out to you as a bitter person. I'm very lonely, yes, but not totally hopeless. And if you are also someone who is dreading that day, just remember this: It is just a day, and like all days, it will pass. I am a firm believer in finding true love, happiness and all that shiznit we read in stories. The good things will come to everyone, eventually.